Please join us for our next seminar:
Update on the CURE Camden Neighborhood Change Study
Associate Director, CURE
Project Director, Camden Neighborhood Change Study
There are major new investments in different Camden neighborhoods such as the new Kroc Community Center in Cramer Hill. Such resources could have major spillover effects on housing conditions and neighborhood integrity in affected areas. In order for community researchers to understand the scope and magnitude of these effects, it is essential to develop baseline data on current neighborhood conditions and to build a longitudinal database.
Our study seeks to:
- Document housing conditions on a parcel-by-parcel basis in neighborhoods in Camden City that have received or will receive major resources, including vacancy status, graffiti, trash, physical decay, etc.;
- Photograph each parcel;
- Make the data and photographs available to researchers and the general public through and interactive, online map;
- Update the data and photographs annually, to document the changes and trends in housing and neighborhood conditions;
- Involve the community in data collection, present data annually to community residents and city stakeholders;
- Based on the observed trends and changes, recommend policies and strategies for neighborhood transformation, especially preserving and sustaining affordable housing.
We have already demonstrated the feasibility of the project by pilot testing our data and photograph collection procedures in a 3 block area of Cramer Hill. A prototype interactive web site is accessible here:
With generous funding by the FAS-Dean Lindenmeyer, we have been collecting baseline data and photographs for the rest of Cramer Hill to further develop the web site and improve its functionality.
CURE seminars are free and open to the public. No registration is required.
Parking in Rutgers–Camden lots is by permit only. Visitors to Rutgers–Camden should obtain a temporary permit to park in a lot from 8 a.m. Mondays through 5 p.m. Fridays.
Contact Parking and Transportation for more information.
Parking and Transportation
(within the Rutgers University Police Department)
409 North Fourth Street
Please visit these sites for directions to campus and to view a campus map